Death of PS/2-AIX??

Robert K. Lockstone RKL100 at psuvm.psu.edu
Sat Nov 10 07:00:45 AEST 1990

I would like to preface this by stating that this is an unsubstantiated
rumor!  I have no hard facts to back it up, just hearsay as far as
I know.  This may be old news, but it's the first time I've heard it.
I don't pretend to keep up with the trade journals or anything, and I
don't often read this newsgroup.  Perhaps this was already discussed.
If so, sorry for the repeat.  If not, does anyone have any further
information on this?

I worked extensively with AIX for RT's and PS/2's at IBM for about
a year and a half.  Through some contacts I still have, I heard that
IBM is planning on killing their AIX support for PS/2's.  The
reasoning being that they want to push the RS6000 as their AIX
machine and the PS/2 as their OS/2 machine.  This rumor appears to
be substantiated by information suggesting that IBM has stopped
development on the next release version of AIX for PS/2's.  I thought
IBM wanted to develop their SAA idea using AIX, i.e. have AIX be the
OS which runs on *all* their systems, from PS/2's thru 370 (disregarding
anything less than a 386, of course).  If they are trashing AIX for
PS/2's, where does that leave SAA?

..Robert  <RKL100 at psuvm.psu.edu>