Death of PS/2-AIX??

Shawn Hayes shawn at jdyx.UUCP
Sat Nov 10 14:23:14 AEST 1990

It's true that IBM is de-emphasizing AIX for now, but that's due to their
working on porting OSF/1.  The last thing I heard (from the trade
magazines and IBM personnel) is that OSF/1 with an AIX layer should be
available somtime late next year.  Actually I think almost every implementation
of OSF/1 will have an AIX front-end as the utilities for OSF/1 were derived
from the AIX versions.  I think it's safe to say that IBM will keep selling
AIX for the PS/2.  If OS/2 ever takes off they may not push AIX, but their
unlikely to just drop it.  After all they have a better chance of selling
the RS/6000 into a company if they can get the companies existing PS/2's to
easily talk to the RS/6000.