AIX 1.2 and Maxtor SCSI hard disk - HELP PLEASE!

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Sun Nov 4 06:04:41 AEST 1990

Has anyone EVER installed a SCSI adapter and a non-IBM hard disk to
a PS/2 running AIX 1.2 ?!?!

I can't get a straight answer out of IBM about this. Some folks say yes,
others no, and NO-ONE will say enough to give me any idea what I
should do.

SITUATION:

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80, AIX 1.2 and a Maxtor XT-8760s (660 MB SCSI
hard disk). I have ordered the IBM 6451109 non-cache SCSI controller.
Can anyone say - for sure - that AIX 1.2 and the 6451109 will be able
to talk to, and fully format, tha Maxtor drive? Has anyone DONE this
or something similar?

What I know so far:

AIX 1.1 does not support SCSI. AIX 1.2 does. (I have CSDs to 1006)
AIX ONLY supports the IBM SCSI adapters. (other adapters will work under
DOS, OS/2, Novell, Xenix, etc., but **NOT** AIX: grrrr ) AIX 1.2 and the
6451109 wants to see a ANSI compatible (standard X3.131, level 2 ??) SCSI
disk. And although an IBM technical support person said that "all you need
is an ANSI compatible SCSI disk", ANOTHER IBM person has said that AIX
only supports the IBM 120 and 320 MB Hard disks.

What I need:

I need to know what I must do in order to install the hard disk. I
figure when the adapter gets here, I'll copy the ADF, install the
controller, run the reference disk to configure the adapter. THEN,
I'll try to boot AIX from floppy, and install AIX to the SCSI hard disk.
(The SCSI disk is the only hard disk in the system.) I'm having a dificult
time believing that this will work. Any help, please?

Harry Haas
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2
Internet:    hhaas@{gtri01|rmadsun}.gatech.edu hh2 at prism.gatech.edu
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2