Quotas do they exist ?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue Nov 27 16:23:46 AEST 1990

In article <4317 at awdprime.UUCP> jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>In article <carl.659244255 at probitas> carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>>Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
>>on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
>>from older documentation .
>
>AIX v3.1 DOES NOT support the quota from Berkley.  I have not seen the routines
>that report that quota has been exceeded, but I would be curious in finding out
>what routines do this.

OK, this is the real meal deal.

The security department was responsible for porting/implementing the
BSD-style quota mechanisms.  For reasons not worth going into, that
functionality was not put in AIX v3.1, but is/was scheduled to appear
in a "future" release, whatever that means (I don't speak for IBM,
that's one thing it means ;-).

You will =never= get EQUOTA or whatever returned from a system call
because you ran out of file system space or any other resource.  I've
never tried to run out of CPU time, but I seem to recall that the
CPU time limit is also not enforced.

As others have pointed out, there are a number of attributes in
/etc/security/limits which are documented as not being used.  Yup,
they aren't used.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson