Quotas do they exist ?

Carl Lewis carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au
Mon Nov 26 10:37:48 AEST 1990

In <4317 at awdprime.UUCP> jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) writes:

>In article <carl.659244255 at probitas> carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:
>>Ok I give up, does Aix (3.1) have quotas. Some routines return error
>>on exceeding quota, but I really get the feeling this is a hangover
>>from older documentation .
>>

>AIX v3.1 DOES NOT support the quota from Berkley.  I have not seen the routines
>that report that quota has been exceeded, but I would be curious in finding out
>what routines do this.

The open, openx, creat, rename, link, mkdir, symlink, mknod, mkfifo
routines all come up under an info search for quota. All the ones I've
looked at return EDQUOT on exceeding quota !!!.  Since you've
confirmed our suspicions that quotas do not exist it would be
interesting to find out where the EDQUOT hangover is from :-)

Replying with a post, 'cos as lots of people have noted, the mail still bounces!

--

Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.
AARN : carl at tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au