RS/6000 Model 320 FP Performance

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Thu Nov 1 02:35:32 AEST 1990

I recently typed in the high-performance matrix multiply routine from
the technical report by Ron Bell.  In the report he states that he
gets 43 MFLOPS on a model 530 using this code.  In the absence of
cache misses (which should be minimal in a blocked code like this one)
the model 320 should run at 80% of that speed, or about 34 MFLOPS.

My own tests (with block sizes in the range of 16 to 32) show a very
consistent 12 MFLOPS performance.

Has anyone else run this code?  Even with lots of cache misses, the
320 should be no more than a factor of about 2.5 slower than a 530,
and here I am seeing a ratio of 3.6....
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at vax1.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET