RS/6000 Model 320 FP Performance

bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu bowman at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 1 10:38:55 AEST 1990

In article <MCCALPIN.90Oct31170825 at pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:

>Ooops, there must have been some typo in my code.  I extracted the
>code from the tech report again and got the following absolutely
>phenomenal results!
>
>	IBM RS/6000 Model 320 Matrix Multiply Performance
>	Matrix Order   Time per MM        MFLOPS
>	        32       .002             29.789
>	        64       .019             27.594
 .
 .
 .

The value of tailoring the algorithms to the architecture is apparent.  Is
anyone, including IBM, planning or willing to produce a library of basic
linear algebra subroutines that are optimized for the 6000?  Think of the
clock cycles that would be saved!

Prof. Kenneth P. Bowman
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
105 S. Gregory Avenue