UUCP setup on RS/6000 ?

Marc Pawliger marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Fri Nov 2 06:26:14 AEST 1990

In article <875 at ki.UUCP>, dwatts at ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
|> I ran into a slight problem getting a UUCP account configured on my
|> RS/6000 and was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.
|> The first problem I ran into, was that smit wouldn't let me designate
|> /usr/lib/uucp/uucico as the initial program.  Smit would give me an
|> error that the choice was invalid.  I ended up having to select /bin/ksh,
|> exit smit, and then edit /etc/passwd and change the /bin/ksh to what
|> I wanted.  Renetering smit showed that the change was affective.

This is because there is a limited number of programs that can be selected
as the login shell, so that you couldn't make, say, /bin/logout be the
login shell by mistake.  There is a file that lists the valid choices
in SMIT (and mkuser, which SMIT invokes under the covers) for the login
shell.  That file is /etc/security/login.cfg.  Just add /usr/lib/uucp/
uucico to the 'usw' stanza in the file and you can now select uucico as
the login shell for a user.

These are my opinions, not IBM's etc etc etc

+---Marc Pawliger---IBM Advanced Workstations Division---Palo Alto, CA---+
|    Internet: marc at ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com    VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6    |
|     UUCP:     uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc      Phone:   (415) 855-3493    |
+------IBMnet:   marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com------IBM T/L:  465-3493--------+