IBM NETWORK FOOBAR?

John Kemp kemp at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 15 07:26:42 AEST 1990

HELP!

We have an IBM RS/6000 320 on a twisted pair repeater.
We have tried both AUI and THIN adapters to the repeater.
The IBM stays up for anywhere from 3 hours to 2 days then
CRASHES AND BURNS, i.e. It loses its network connection, and
that connection stays lost.  Only correction is a reboot.

Three clues, possibly unrelated...

1) Our SUN says it loses 75% of its packets when pinging the
   IBM, and gives bogus round-trip times after the first ping.
   It is on twisted pair too.  The IBM pings the SUN fine.

2) We get "giant packet" messages logged at our SUN which come from
   our campus gateway.

3) A Vaxstation 2000 on DECNET also repeatedly loses connections
   when using twisted pair.  It never did this on thin ether.

QUESTION:  Is the IBM AIX networking software foobarred?
Is there someway we can make this machine stay alive on the
network?  Does anybody have any idea what causes this?  Is
there anyway to log what happens when the network burns on
the IBM?

We are at a loss.  Any help would be most
greatly appreciated.
--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393