Aix Running on Clones?

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Mon Nov 26 06:21:09 AEST 1990

In article <4989 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I *HAVE* seen AIX PS/2 (or the very very close Locus equivalent)
>running on Compaq 386's out at Locus.  However, such support is
>not in the product shipped by IBM.
>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
>dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu

I believe it was a man named Jack Vogel from Locus that claimed to have
AIX running on many clones within Locus, the LAST time this subject came
up. So we KNOW it's possible. I guess what all of us AIX folks that aren't
'Unix internals' guys want to know is: HOW? What changes are neccesary?
Does it require simple modifications to the installation diskettes, (even
if that might mean a binary patch) or do we simply not have the resources
neccesary?

IBM's AIX doesn't support any hard disk size EXCEPT for the sizes
that they make. This is absolutely STUPID, but can be 'fixed'. Good grief,
if IBM decides to sell another size disk, they'll have to release new
installation diskettes. All because they want to make it as dificult
as possible for anyone to use anything but (the small and expensive) IBM
hard disks.

So if anyone is willing to give us some clue as to what would be required
to run a LICENSED COPY of AIX on ANY machine other than one manufactured
by IBM, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. . . .

hh
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2