Aix Running on Clones?

Patrick Hurley hurley at watserv1.waterloo.edu
Wed Nov 14 02:04:50 AEST 1990

  Has anyone out there ever gotten aix to run on clones?

  What I experience was the following:

  The first attempt at getting it going was an attempt at
installing it on an XYZ clone 386/20mhz with harddisk with
an ide disk controller.  No luck , it complained about
not being able to find a harddisk.

   Figuring that  I decided to try to install it on
a 386 with a ESDI hard drive...like the Ps/2 .  This was
tried on a Packard Bell 386/33mhz ( I'm not sure about the
wait state ) with a 120meg ESDI drive. The installation went
further up to the point of where the installation procedure
asked for the maintaince diskette.  Then it bitched about
not being able to find information about the hard disk. But
the kernel came up  ( So that was interesting ).

  So at the point I took the maintaince diskette and  mounted
its filesystem on another machine running AIX.  I found using
strings command that the error was coming from the mounted /etc/maint
module. That is as far as I got.

  Now after all this ranting.....has anyone gotten any further?

  Is this the way IBM is copy  protecting AIX?  The way I figure it
the more versions of AIX out there the more hardware IBM will sell in the
long run if this is indeed the case.