Importing existing passwd and group file to aix 3.1

John F. Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Nov 30 05:35:08 AEST 1990

In article <532 at texhrc.UUCP> ldm at texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:
> We have aquired an rs6000. We would like to be able to copy our existing
> password file over to the system and have it work. (We distribute a
> master password file to our yp domains, and the RS-6000 should set
> in a different domain than everyone else). When one copies the password
> file over one can log in as a user but an error message is created about
> being unable to set terminal permission and the user is logged off.
> Trying via telent yields similar results and a message that the
> connection was closed.

There are three commands for checking the correctness of your
password and group files.  They are PWDCK, GRPCK, and USRCK.
Chances are your password file contains referencs to group IDs
which don't exist in your group file or that the files in
/etc/security are out of date.

Most likely your /etc/group file is missing entries that
are needed for the users you are trying to login as.  There
must be a group which corresponds to the GID in the /etc/passwd
file for each user.

Your other comments lead me to believe that you are running an
older version of AIX v3.1 and need to contact your SE to get
the latest update.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ