Importing existing passwd and group file to aix 3.1

Andrew Dawson teexand at ioe.lon.ac.uk
Thu Nov 29 20:57:50 AEST 1990

In <532 at texhrc.UUCP> ldm at texhrc.UUCP (Lyle Meier) writes:

> ...... When one copies the password
> file over one can log in as a user but an error message is created about
> being unable to set terminal permission and the user is logged off.
> Trying via telent yields similar results and a message that the
> connection was closed.

We had this problem once. It was caused by a blank line at the top of
/etc/group. It may be worth checking for something silly like this.

> A second related question. We have a central administration for uid's.
> If one creates a user using SMIT how can one set the uid for the user
> short of going thru the change user mechanism?

This is quite difficult. SMIT seems to allocate uid's on a next free basis.
I think there is a file in /etc/security (.ids ???) containing the next number
to allocate. You may be able to edit this just before running smit mkuser.

--
Andrew Dawson, Computer Centre, University College London, Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT, England.