Help! I can't login

Robin D. Wilson/1000000 robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com
Wed Nov 21 03:13:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov15.015023.20950 at portia.Stanford.EDU> glowell at portia.Stanford.EDU (gary lowell) writes:
>I am trying to login to my RS6000 from home using an ascii terminal and
>modem.  I can connect ok, but can't login.  I am sure there is some
>trivial parameter that is not set right somewhere.  I've spent several
>hours on the phone with support people, and our SE spent almost a full
>day on-site with no results.
>
>When I call up the system what I see is:
>
>	CONNECT 2400
>	Allegro (tty0)
>	Please login: glowell
>	3004-007 You have entered an invalid login name or password

Let me guess.... You have the port set up as "LOGIN = SHARE" from smit, and
you are at update level "3001/9030G/July".   The solution is to set the port
to either DELAY or ENABLE (please note the "ENABLE" solution is a temporary
workaround for the problem if all else fails).  Make sure the telebit is
set up to follow true carrier, disconnect on DTR loss, respond to local
commands only, etc.   If you have to set the port to "ENABLE" the following
modem setups are also recommended: NO ECHO, NO COMMAND RESPONSE.  You will
also have to "pdisable" the port any time you want to use it to dial-out.

The best solution is to call 1-800-237-5511 (IBM Software Defect Support) and
request the 3002 update.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |