Help! I can't login

gary lowell glowell at portia.Stanford.EDU
Mon Nov 26 06:53:31 AEST 1990

In article <4280 at awdprime.UUCP> robin at reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson) writes:
>Let me guess.... You have the port set up as "LOGIN = SHARE" from smit, and
>you are at update level "3001/9030G/July".   The solution is to set the port
>to either DELAY or ENABLE (please note the "ENABLE" solution is a temporary
>workaround for the problem if all else fails).  Make sure the telebit is
>set up to follow true carrier, disconnect on DTR loss, respond to local
>commands only, etc.   If you have to set the port to "ENABLE" the following
>modem setups are also recommended: NO ECHO, NO COMMAND RESPONSE.  You will
>also have to "pdisable" the port any time you want to use it to dial-out.
>
>The best solution is to call 1-800-237-5511 (IBM Software Defect Support) and
>request the 3002 update.

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The port was originally set up
LOGIN=DELAY, and I had tried LOGIN=ENABLE to no effect.  Fortunatly, I
had requested the 3002 updates for another problem.  It arrived last
Tuesday, and installing it has fixed this problem.  Even PSHARE seems
to work now.

The only problem I have left is the port permissions.  I set the
permissions on /dev/tty0 to 666 so that ordinary users might use
cu on the port.  But everytime the system touches the port, login/logoff
for example, the permissions are reset to 662 which prevents everyone
except root from using cu on that port thereafter.

I saw passing reference in info explorer that the port permissions are
kept in the database.  But no clues as to where, or how to change them,
or even if changing would solve this problem.

So, is there anyway that I can permanently change the permissions on
a port?

Thanks again for the help.
Gary Lowell
glowell at portia.stanford.edu