MAXTOR disk drive on RS6000 problems

Amy Johnson johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 21 03:29:45 AEST 1990

Hi.  I'm trying to add a MAXTOR 700 MB SCSI disk drive to a RS6000 (320).
It boots up and recognizes the external disk as "Other SCSI disk", which
seems ok to me.  When I list the disk devices, it shows the new disk as
hdisk1.  BUT, when I try to give the new disk, hdisk1, a physical volume
identifier number (in SMIT, under "Change Characteristics of a Disk"), it
spits out the following:

	Method error (/etc/methods/chgdisk)
	0514-047 Cannot access a device

If anyone has ANY ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear them....Is this
disk totally unusable with this system???

Thanks!
Amy <johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu>
Engineering Computer Operations
North Carolina State University