Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Nov 27 08:46:51 AEST 1990

In <MICHAEL.90Nov26153750 at athene.uni-paderborn.de> michael at uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) writes:

>I just tried to install the more replacement less on our rs6000. All
>comilations went fine, I got a working executable. But, ... the
>behaviour is strange.

>When viewing a file you have to type in FOUR chracters....

Aha.  POSIX strikes again.  Compile less for a System V machine,
and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to diddle with
the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in AIX3, not an int....
You obviously tried to compile it for a Berkeley setup, and got the
POSIX line discipline problem.... you can MAKE it run in a Berkeley
environment, but it's not worth your time.  Oh, and make sure
to link with -lcurses instead of -lterminfo..... libterminfo.a don't
exist under AIX3.

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26 at prism.gatech.edu