Has anyone got less to work under AIX-3.1 on a RS6000 ?

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Nov 28 05:59:56 AEST 1990

In <4355 at awdprime.UUCP> dcm at nostromo.austin.ibm.com (craig miller) writes:

>In article <17570 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU (yours truly) writes:
>>and it works like a charm..... 'cept that you have to diddle with
>>the malloc() code, because malloc() is a void in AIX3, not an int....

>	Just one minor point here:  Glenn, what do you mean, "malloc()
>	is a void in AIX3, not an int...."?

So I was working from memory.  calloc, not malloc....

DYNIX 3 (4.2 BSDish for the Sequent, the machine from which I post)
has char *calloc.... and the less code assumes that, and does not
cast the pointers explicitly.  You have to go in and ANSI-ise the code...
which is also good programming practice in non-ANSI (or at least to
document the fact that hey! I'm assuming char *{m,c}alloc instead of void....)

P'raps Henry should add to the First Commandment....

   When weirdnesses happen in code thou didst not write, thou shalt
   REALLY study the output of _lint_ thy eternal friend and companion.

-- Glenn R. Stone (gs26 at prism.gatech.edu)