User Directories

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Sat Apr 27 15:31:57 AEST 1991

In article <709 at aos.brl.mil> somsky at brl.mil (William R. Somsky) writes:
>With the '/usr' partition sucking up almost the entire hard-drive on
>installation, is there really any good reason for putting users on a
>seperate '/u' partiton?

Plenty of them.  For starters, it's always nice to separate system
programs and vendor programs from what your users are doing.  I like being
able to re-install AIX (which wipes out the / and /usr filesystems)
without having any of my user's files affected.  And system administration
in general is less complex when your users and your system programs are
on different filesystems -- for example, suppose a user fills up his or her
directory with large files, eventually flooding the filesystem.  If the
user's directory was in /usr, then uucp spooling and a number of other
daemons would grind to a halt.  If the users were all segregated in /u,
then that couldn't happen.
--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
cmcl2!panix!eravin  | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an