User Directories

William R. Somsky somsky at brl.mil
Fri Apr 26 06:14:52 AEST 1991

With the '/usr' partition sucking up almost the entire hard-drive on
installation, is there really any good reason for putting users on a
seperate '/u' partiton?  I've heard suggestions of soft-linking '/u' or
'/u/<username>' to directories on '/usr', but can anyone think of a
reason that I wouldn't want to just put all users DIRECTLY on the
'/usr' partition, say, in something like '/usr/u', and modify
'/etc/passwd' to match?  (Is it perhaps that SMIT insists on putting
users in'/u'?)

Any comments on this matter?

							W R Somsky