It works everywhere else, but not on AIX

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 16 04:22:14 AEST 1991

First of all, the "df" command does not always know how to find the file
system a particular path name it is given is on.  This is what I get:

	phil at ux2:/u/phil 2> df .
	Filesystem    Total KB    free %used   iused %iused Mounted on
	Cannot find file system .
	phil at ux2:/u/phil 3> pwd
	/u/phil

So apparently I need some other way to find out the file system I am on
that is also portable over other UNIX platforms.  Until AIX, that was "df"
itself.

If IBM "designed" it this way... WHY?

Second thing.  I have a few programs that were written with direct system
calls rather that C library calls, for I/O.  These programs work on all my
other UNIX platforms but do not work on AIX.  The sympton is that nothing
effectively happens.  One example is a program that tabifies its input.
The result is simply that the program gets an immediate EOF on stdin, not
an error.  I know I have not given much information.  I have not yet tried
these on SysVR4 (which I consider to be "grossly broken by design", which is
far worse than AIX appears to be).  What I am asking for is what leads you
might be able to suggest in debugging these programs.  Do read() and write()
have a different "design" in AIX?  Is there any way to get machine language
output from the C compiler?
--
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \