Display Postscript File Previewer?

Louis A. Bloomfield lab3e at landau5.phys.virginia.edu
Mon Apr 8 23:48:10 AEST 1991

I would like to use display postscript to preview the contents of a
file.  AIX 3.1 comes with the program /usr/lpp/DPS/examples/dpsexec
that is able to display a postscript file.  However, dpsexec cruises
past the showpage commands unless you redefine the showpage macro to
wait for input from the standard input stream.  Also, dpsexec reads
instructions from standard input.  In order to look at a file, I must
hand type the instructions:

   PS>(/mygroup/myname/showpage.ps) run
   PS>(/mygroup/myname/mypostscriptfile.ps) run

where showpage.ps is a file which redefines the showpage macro and the
second line is the postscript file.  dpsexec also handles the two
xwindows involved in the display process very badly so that I type
into the parent window while the image appears in the second, covered
window.  Uncovering the image window leaves a white void in the image.

I have tried with no real success to edit the dpsexec.c program to
make it read the filename from the command line and to pause properly
at the showpage's.  However, I have little knowledge of C and none at
all of display postscript.  Does anyone have a sensible postscript file
previewer program?  I imagine a program that is invoked by the line:

   xpsview  mypostscriptfile.ps

that opens a large window and presents one page after the next from
the contents of mypostscriptfile.ps, while pausing at each showpage.
My eternal gratitude to anyone who can do such a thing.

Lou Bloomfield
Department of Physics
University of Virginia
LAB3E at VIRGINIA.EDU