troff -t on AIX3.1?

Pat Wilson paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Tue Apr 16 23:20:06 AEST 1991

woan at nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>In article <1991Apr15.202022.14455 at dartvax.dartmouth.edu> paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pat Wilson) writes:
>>On all the other troffs I run, troff -t sends its (processed) output
>>to stdout.  IBM doesn't have the -t option, which makes it difficult
>>to use the same scripts that I run everywhere else.

>While "psroff -t" does indeed work with 3005, with ditroff "-t" seems
>unnecessary unless I am missing it's function as it normally outputs
>to stdout anyway which is why you need to use "troff -Tibm3812 -man
>xwd.man|ibm3812|enq" to print to an IBM 3812 printer (enq to actually
>send it to the printer), for instance...  Just try "troff filename"
>and see what comes out...

Well, you're right that "troff filename" prints to stdout, so perhaps
I can use this as a workaround.  Most troff's that I'm familiar
with (and that documented in the BSD manuals) output to the "phototypsetter"
*unless* one uses the -t option to divert to stdout.  Maybe the way
it's done here makes more sense, but it's _not_ the way it's historically
been done, which is a bit annoying when you're in a heterogenous environment...

Thanks.
--
Pat Wilson
Systems Manager, Project NORTHSTAR