xemacs and rs cursor keys

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 17 08:09:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.181411.4738 at engin.umich.edu> trammell at engin.umich.edu (James Trammell) writes:
>Where can I get a patch to emacs using X windows, which will allow
>me to use the cursor keys on the rs 6000's ?

The hacks/fixes I made follow.  Another reason I'm posting them again
is to ask for help/advice on a related topic... I've experienced
a decidedly peculiar problem with both 18.55 and 18.57 on AIX3.1
(all updates so far, 3001 to 3004).  The problem is this: after running
Emacs for about half an hour of heavy use (programming/typing),
the text cursor response goes straight to hell - scrolling up or
down, for instance, becomes choppy and impossible to follow.

The FSF people hadn't heard of this problem as of last fall... has anyone
else noticed this?  Or does it just hate me?

Anyway, the fixes...

The RS/6000 arrow keys don't work correctly under X11.

They can be made to work in x11term.c by removing the #ifndef
AIX/#endif duo from around the second stringFuncVal() routine, as well
as the duo around the if/then/else following case KeyPress in the
XPending() loop.

The RS/6000 backspace key, as well as PageUp/PageDown, don't work
under X11.  This can be solved in x11term.c like this:

    case KeyPress:
#ifdef AIX
      XRebindKeysym(XXdisplay, 0xff08, NULL, 0, "\177", 1);  /* backspace */
      XRebindKeysym(XXdisplay, 0xff55, NULL, 0, "\326", 1);  /* page up */
      XRebindKeysym(XXdisplay, 0xff56, NULL, 0, "\026", 1);  /* page down */
#endif /* AIX */

(This is case KeyPress in the XtPending() loop in x11term.c.)

x11term.c makes no attempt to use X_DEFAULT_FONT.  I did this:

#ifdef X_DEFAULT_FONT
        temp_font = X_DEFAULT_FONT;
#else
        temp_font = "fixed";