info and man pages

Steve Adams sma at devcom.com
Mon Apr 8 22:35:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.011454.6181 at ms.uky.edu> paul at wolf.ccs.uky.edu (Paul Linton) writes:
>A while ago I thought I saved a posting describing the technique for
>extracting the man pages from info and placing them in the /usr/man/*
>directories.  I've searched all over and cannot find the posting.
>
>Could someone please confirm or deny the ability to do this.  I've
>asked the IBM reps and they claim it can't be done.
>
>Please email if you can help!
Since it of general interest, I'm posting it.  This came from a document
from IBM entitled _AIXv3.1 for BSD System Administrators_, dated Sept. '90.

If you run 'catman.sh' with no args, it generates secetion 1.   If you want
to generate other sections, create a directory in /tmp that has the names
of the commands/calls you want documented.  For example, here's what I
did to generate section 2 :

$ mkdir /tmp/syscalls
$ cd /tmp/syscalls
$ touch `egrep ' [a-z]' /lib/syscalls.exp | awk ' { print $1 } ' | tr ''' 12'`

This was an example in the document.

                                                         -Steve
--------------------------------^^^^CUT Here^^^^^----------------------------
#!/bin/bsh
#
# usage catman.sh "path" section
#     store AIXv3.1 man pages as flat text in /usr/man/cat directories
#
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:
NAMEPATH="/bin /usr/bin /usr/ucb"
SECTION="1"

if [ -n "$1" ]
then
     NAMEPATH="$1"
fi
if [ -n "$2" ]
then
     SECTION="$2"
fi

for p in ${NAMEPATH}
do
     for name in `ls "${p}"`
     do
          if [ -x "${p}/${name}" ]
          then
               if ( man "${SECTION}" "${name}" > /usr/tmp/"${name}")
               then
                    mv /usr/tmp/"${name}" /usr/man/cat"${SECTION}"/"${name}"."${SECTION}"
               fi
          fi
     done
done

--
  "First we're going to cut it off,    |   Steve Adams - sma at devcom.com -or-
  then we're going to kill it."        |                 uunet!devcom!sma