rs6000 Hostname problem

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Apr 10 22:59:42 AEST 1991

In article <1320 at anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> edelson at ils.nwu.edu (Daniel Choy Edelson) writes:

>When I rlogin or rsh to another host, it tells the other host the
>old name.  Thus, to get appropriate permissions, I have to put the
>old name in the remote machine's .rhost and hosts.equiv files.

When you use rlogin, it does not broadcast the machine name - the
remote system gets the IP address from the connection request and
looks up the name by address. So, it would seem that the problem you
are having has to do with the remote machine still having the old
name recorded somewhere - either in its hosts table or in a nameserver.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services