Where is the -x option for vi

Ken Hardy ken at racerx.UUCP
Fri Apr 26 08:39:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.022749.22026 at lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, ghe at physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
> I don't know how many people is still using vi nowadays. But I still am.
> But today, I just found out the 'vi' on AIX 3.1 doesn't know the -x option
> at all. I found -x option on all other UNIX machine I've used here, SUN,
> Ridge, Sequent.... Is there anyone knows why the -x option is lost by IBM?

The encryption algorithm used by crypt and vi -x is, I believe,
restricted to domestic use due to "national security" concerns.  So
many vendors are not putting it into their default distributions.

Try "man crypt".

I rolled my own crypt, called "krypt" (clever, no?), just for my own
uses.  I'm sure the Rooskies could crack pretty easily, since it
doesn't use any higher-mathematics type algorithms, ala DES.

--

Ken Hardy                         uunet!racerx!ken
Bridge Information Systems        ken at racerx.com