Where is the -x option for vi

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Fri Apr 26 01:28:43 AEST 1991

> I don't know how many people is still using vi nowadays. But I still am.
> But today, I just found out the 'vi' on AIX 3.1 doesn't know the -x option
> at all. I found -x option on all other UNIX machine I've used here, SUN,
> Ridge, Sequent.... Is there anyone knows why the -x option is lost by IBM?

You can thank the US Commerce Dept and our lawyers for that one. US companies
are not allowed to export "encryption" devices/software outside the US, and
our lawyers, conservative souls that they are, include "crypt" and
"ex -x" in this category.

Yeah, the algorithm is already out there. Yeah, this is all old hat.

It also seems to be the law.

Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown
		Which came first: The Chicken or the Legba?
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.