Graceful Exit for mwm and X

W. W. Looi looi at sutro.SFSU.EDU
Wed Apr 3 15:36:32 AEST 1991

I posted a question about exiting mwm and X awhile back ago, and have
received answers both via personal mails and c.u.aix. Thanks to those
netters who took time to answer my question.

I have recently found a *better* way of getting rid of X without
	- CTRL-ALT-Backspace
	- grep for X and kill
	- open xinit

Include the following in your $HOME/.mwmrc

Menu Root_Menu
{
  "Root Menu"		f.title
  no-label		f.separator
  "Restart mwm..."	f.restart
  "Quit mwm..."		f.quit_mwm
  "Quit X"		f.exec "xkill -all"
}

/* you may want to make "Quit X" a submenu to include a "Cancell"
   option -- second chance before exiting mwm and X */

When you pick "Quit X" from Root Menu, instruction will be displayed
on login window. Following the instruction by moving the mouse
pointer to the root window. And then, press button 3 (right), 2 (mid)
and 1 (left) in a countdown fashion. Subsequently, all client windows
will disappear and a new "generic" login display will be brought up.

I'm still new to RS6000 and AIX environment. Please pardon me if the
above question isn't one of those FAQs. Hope you'll find the above
info helpful.

Questions:
	- does anyone get the mail notifier to work on csh?
	- know of any ftp sites for lockscreen utilities?
	- is there a system wide "Xdefaults" file that X will
          read everytime it's invoked?

Btw, we're running RS6000/230 with AIX 3.4

Thanks in advance.