User Directories

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 07:11:45 AEST 1991

In an article, somsky at brl.mil (William R. Somsky) writes:
|I've heard suggestions of soft-linking '/u' or
|'/u/<username>' to directories on '/usr', but can anyone think of a
|reason that I wouldn't want to just put all users DIRECTLY on the
|'/usr' partition, say, in something like '/usr/u', and modify
|'/etc/passwd' to match?  (Is it perhaps that SMIT insists on putting
|users in'/u'?)

SMIT actually has nothing to do with the actual creation of the user
account; the real job is done by mkuser.  To change the filesystem
that the user accounts are created, edit /etc/security/mkuser.default
and change the "home" stanza.  You'll grok it when you see it.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike