How to connect a dial-out modem (the answers for AIX3.1.3002)

Robin Wilson robin at pensoft.uucp
Fri Apr 12 23:40:27 AEST 1991

In article <11020 at ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
)I got a lot of helpful answers to my question on setting up a dial-out modem
)under AIX3.1.3002.  Thanks to everybody who replied.  Here is what I did
)to get it to work based on these messages.  My examples use /dev/tty4.
)
)   2. Connect cable to modem and run smit with the power to the modem
)      turned on.

This is not required, but it doesn't really hurt anything.

)   3. In SMIT set up the serial port (in our case tty4) with all of the
)      defaults.  Disable logins.  Dial-in and Dial-out capability on the
)      same modem isn't supported under AIX3.1.3002 or 3003.
                                                    ^^^^^^^
It is not supported on 3002 (or before); it works fine on my version of 3003.

)   4. tip or kermit (at least the copy we have) won't work because it
)      requires carrier detect to be held high -- my understanding is that
)      can't happen with the way the hardware is currently defined.

You can strap carrier high on the modem by typing "AT&C0".  This will tell
HAYES "V-Series" modems to set carrier detect to "Always on".

)   7. Initially the modem must be configured to hangup the modem with
)      a DTR signal.  This is done by entering "cu -l /dev/tty4 -b2400"
)      and then:
)      7a.  "at &f"                   ---- to fetch S registers from EPROM
)      7b.  "at &d2&d3&c1             ---- d2 == modem goes on hook at
                ^^^^^^
				The first "&d" sets it to "2", and then you immediately
                reset it to "3".  Just use one or the other.

)                                                returns to cmd mode on dtr off
)                                          d3 == modem initializes w/dtr off
)                                     ---- c1 == hardware carrier detect
)      7c.  "at &w"                   ---- Write S registers to NV RAM
)      7d.  Switch the modem off and on again.

This is not required, but it doesn't hurt anything.  (If you need to exit "cu"
just type "~." (tilde dot), and then press [ENTER].

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     pensoft!robin                                                      |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)343-1111                       |