AIX compliance?

Jonathan Eunice jonathan at cs.pitt.edu
Mon Apr 15 03:31:40 AEST 1991

Mark Allender writes:

   As far as I know, AIX is neither BSD or SYSV, and is both BSD and
   SYSV.  I have installed applications where I have had to define BSD,
   and others where I have had to define SYSV, and still others where
   there was a #define RS6000.

   Go figure....this kind of thing is really annoying....

Well, porting software is really annoying.  To any system, from any vendor.
I have had software, including X, GNU, etc (esp. GNU is very BSD) port
auto-magically, and I have had to go "the hard way" on other software.
But it's the same porting to DEC's ULTRIX, Sun's SunOS, etc.  TANSTAFL.

As to it being neither BSD nor SysV, and yet both, that's exactly
true.  Just like SunOS, SVr4, ULTRIX, DG/UX, IRIX, HP-UX, etc. Various
merges seem to be the way of things these days.  None of them, of
course, do the merge in quite the same way.  Btw, even SysV != SysV,
when you move from release to release--especially to SVr4 and some of
its {nice,necessary} extensions.