SHUTDOWN on AIX 3.1

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Apr 24 01:07:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.130522.26957 at uvm.edu> moore at emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:
>I would like to give users on my system the ability to do a
>'shutdown' from a $ prompt. I've tried setting up a script
>which sets the users id to root and group id to system, and
>then calls shutdown, but thi doesn't work. Can someone let
>me know if this is possible, and if so how?

You may wish to look into a program called opcom, written by Carel Braam. It
allows members of a particular group to execute specified commands under
a different user and group ID. Which commands can be executed, what the
user/group ID will be and who can execute them is defined by a configuration
file which the system administrator maintains. For example:

/etc/shutdown : operator : root : daemon

specifies that members of group operator can execute /etc/shutdown and have
it run with real user ID root and real group id daemon.

We use it to provide certain functions to our operations staff - who do
not ordinarily have root access. It seems to work pretty well. I think you
can find it in the FTP archives on uunet.uu.net.

- Scott

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services