dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2

Dwight Tovey dwight at locus.com
Thu Apr 11 01:18:16 AEST 1991

In article <17290 at sunquest.UUCP> jew at rt.sunquest.com (J.E.Ward) writes:

>I have tried several times and ways today to do something I've done on
>lots of other machines with no problem, essentially:
>
>dd bs=1024k if=/dev/rmt0 | remsh HostWithTapeDrive dd bs=1024k of=/dev/rmt0
>
>This aborts in the following manner under AIX 1.2:
>
>AIX instfe 1.2> dd bs=1024k if=/dev/rmt0 | remsh rt dd bs=1024k of=/dev/rmt0
>dd write error: Invalid argument
>
>3+0 records in
>2+0 records out
>
>Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work?  As I said before, I've done
>this sort of thing in the past on other systems with no problem.
>Thanks in advance...

I just tried it on my machine, going both directions (dd from local device
to remote and from remote device to local) and the only problem I had was
when I forgot to write enable the floppy I was using.  I don't know why you
had problems with it.  Could there be a problem with the tape drive on
the remote site?
	/dwight

--
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables.
	Dwight Tovey
	dwight at locus.com
The views I express are entirely my own and do not in any way represent