Need more inodes

Melinda Shore shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 14 00:09:29 AEST 1991

In article <MARC.91Apr12090853 at marc.watson.ibm.com> marc at watson.ibm.com (Marc Auslander) writes:
>I believe that the AIXV3 jfs uses the BSD inode scheme, in which I
>fixed percentage of the file system space is preallocated to inodes.
>When you grow the file system you get more inodes as well.  It
>appears, from looking at several file systems, that the constant is
>one inode for each 4k disk block in the file system.

Not so.  The BSD filesystem allows the administrator to specify how
many datablock bytes per inode.  On a Vax the default is 2048 bytes,
although your mileage may vary.  Also, you can't "grow" a filesystem,
as a general rule (you can if you have disk labels and you want to
extend the end, leaving the beginning cylinder where it is, and you
don't care about overwriting the filesystem that follows the one
you're growing).
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore at theory.tn.cornell.edu