Slimming down a file system

James Crawford james at bksmel.oz.au
Mon Apr 8 09:30:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.192525.28679 at panix.uucp> eravin at panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
> During the install process on my PowerServer 520, the installer slurped
> up all the free file system space and gave it to /usr.  But once I've
> removed the preloads and other junk I don't want, there's lots of
> space left over I would rather put in /u or elsewhere.  Playing around
> in smit and looking through the documentation, it seems IBM only supplies
> commands to expand file systems, not shrink them.  Do I have to roll the
> whole thing out to tape and recreate it?  Has anyone else here encountered
> this?
>
> --
> Ed Ravin            | Even if I could think of a profound, witty, insightful
> cmcl2!panix!eravin  | quote to put here, who would bother reading it?
> philabs!trintex!elr |

We had the same problem.  However, instead of taking the extra /usr space and
adding it to /u, we found it easier to delete the /u file system and add this
space to /usr.  Then we created a /usr/u directory and created a symbolic link
from /u to this directory.

This caused us little grief as we had nothing under /u at the time and seems
to have worked fine for us.  I don't know whether this will suit your purposes
or not though.

James.