Slimming down a file system

moody at snap.austin.ibm.com moody at snap.austin.ibm.com
Sat Apr 6 05:25:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.192525.28679 at panix.uucp> eravin at panix.uucp (Ed Ravin) writes:
>During the install process on my PowerServer 520, the installer slurped
>up all the free file system space and gave it to /usr.  But ....
>there's lots of
>space left over I would rather put in /u or elsewhere.
>.....IBM only supplies
>commands to expand file systems, not shrink them.
>Has anyone else here encountered this?

This is a horrible consequence of not putting the install images in some
other place besides /usr in the first place.   You might be able to
put the install images in /tmp before installing.  Then use

installp -f /tmp/<image_file> all

or similar incantation to install that image.  I think IBM should
have the install programs do it this way too but there may be problems
with this that I don't know about.  It's a lot less trouble to grow
a file system than to shrink it.

--
James Moody
Personal Systems Programming Austin	VNET:MOODY at AUSVMQ
Level 3 Support				internet:moody at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com