How can I get msgs to not repeat all previous messages (AIX3.1)

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu
Thu Feb 28 08:35:31 AEST 1991

The following is concerning a Risc/System-6000 running AIX3.1.3002

I have the following entry in my /usr/lib/aliases file for msgs:

	# Aliases to handle mail to msgs and news
	msgs:   "|/usr/ucb/msgs -s"

But I'm having a problem with the msgs command.  Every time a new messages
is posted to the machine, entering "msgs" rereads every message on the
system, not just the last one.  In other words, a new message somehow
corrupts .msgsrc.  I have in my .login the command "msgs -fq" to check if
new messages have been posted.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

--Tim