determining '6000 s/w version numbers (was Re: "emacs" terminfo)

Larry Morris larry at morpho.UUCP
Thu Feb 7 06:03:45 AEST 1991

marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) writes:

>The colloquial 3001 would appear as 03.01.0001.YYYY, and 3003 03.01.0003.YYYY.
>03 is the major release number, 01 the minor and 0001, etc. the update level.
>I don't know what the YYYY part is, but it does not appear significant in
>determining what version of software you are running.

Well, I just had this all explained by Robin at software defect support.
You're right about the 0001.  If you see a level like 03.01.000X.YYYY,
then you know:

	1) The update applied was either 300X or 200X.  The 3000 series
	are cumulative updates which may be applied to a "golden" system.
	The 2000 series are fractional updates, which may depend on other
	updates.

	2) The build level of that particluar LPP is YYYY.  This is
	relevant in cases such as the current 3003.  IBM shipped 3003
	and then recalled it.  I have already applied the first 3003,
	so my LPPs look like 03.01.0003.YYYY.  Now when the new 3003
	arrives, some of the LPPs will have been modified.  The
	updatep knows to update these few products because they are
	at 03.01.0003.ZZZZ (ZZZZ > YYYY).

Hope that this helps.  Now if only IBM would learn to label ALL of their
update tapes with the update level.  It doesn't do much good to have the
info in a document if the document and tape become seperated.
--
Disclaimer: I write device drivers, not company policy.  The above opinions
are mine, all mine.