Paging space and etc...

Murat Berk berk at surf.rice.edu
Tue Feb 5 22:46:03 AEST 1991

I have a problem with paging spaces. I want to close my existing
paging space and open a new one. Actually my aim is reducing the
on one of the hard disks. I creared 64 MB paging space on the second
drive and activated it. Using smit I turned off the auto switch for
the old paging space. When I restart the system, system comes up with
2 paging spaces (total 128 MB) and I cannot remove the old one because
I get the message:Paging space ... is active. Close the filesystem.
The problem is I cannot close it once it is activated.
I also changed the rc file from swapon -a to swapon name
Still the system activates both spaces. Is there another database
somewhere which is checked by the sytem at the startup.

My second question is our talk deamon is not working. We uncomented
necassary lines from /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf , but any
tiem we write talk ... at ..., we get an error message as
talk: ntalk/udp: Service is not registered.

I want to eliminate the resize borders around some of the
clients like clock, xbiff, xload, xcalc ... . I look through the
mwm defaults but cannot find the correct setting. Is this elimination of
resize borders possible, if so what should I chande in .mwmrc file

When I compile xtex client from mit I get an linker error as
.htonl (unresolved symbol)
but the info gives the place of the module as libbsd. When
I run ar tv /lib/libbsd.a I get only shr.o  as the contest.  How
should I run cc such that it can resolve the libs correctly.

Any ideas welcome, thank you very much.

Murat Berk
Physics Department Rice University
berk at surf.rice.edu