Can I blow off any of these?

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:26:06 AEST 1991

[Ok, so some of these questions might be in TFM, but our hardcopy docs
took a left turn at Mars and still aren't here yet...  If you think I
should RTFM, just say so, and I'll twiddle my thumbs for a few more days. :-]

While ODM might be some MIS managers pulsating wet dream, it does nothing
whatsoever for my sense of aesthetics ('nother good word, wish I could
spell it :-).  Is there life without ODM?   Will my SE cut off various
parts of my body if I try to get by without it?  (I'm already going
"manual" for purposes of tcp/ip.)

What about JFS?  I think it's great for user's directories, but do I really
need all that overhead for the root partition?  Wouldn't a simple
fs be the best there?  How often do I write to / anyway?  If the system
happens to crash then (odds are pretty damn slim), I'll deal with the
problems...

While I'm deleting big chunks of AIX...

How can I get stuff *out* of /usr/lpp?  I'd like to put all the tcp/ip,
yp and nfs related code in /etc, /usr/etc, etc. (hee) and mount /usr/lpp
from some other machine.  (We have a server and some dataless clients.)

I've got Greening's mods to X11R4 clients (way cool, man :-), but an
X11R4 *server* would be even better.  Anybody working on one?  Is
the source for IBM's X11R3 client available? (ha.  where's the fsf
when you need 'em :-)  We're going to start running khoros on our
Sparcs, and we'd like to be able to use it from the 6000's as well.

And, finally, where's the FAQ list for this group?  It needs one, but
I'm too ignorant to keep it...

'nuff questions for now, I'd guess.
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet at uh.edu - bitnet: jet at UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence