NFS woes

Tony Sanders sanders at peyote.cactus.org
Sun Feb 17 13:14:19 AEST 1991

A few comments.

You can disable your rpc.lockd and rpc.statd by running:
    stopsrc -s rpc.statd
    stopsrc -s rpc.lockd
and/or commenting them out of /etc/rc.nfs.
I don't recommend you do this unless you don't care about locking.

to stop NFS use: sh /etc/nfs.clean
to enable NFS use: sh /etc/rc.nfs
To enable NFS now and at system reboot use: /usr/etc/mknfs -B

You can check /etc/inittab for a line like:
    rcnfs:2:wait:/etc/rc.nfs > /dev/console 2>&1  # Start NFS Daemons
to see if nfs is enabled at system reboot.

BTW: if you can mount a remote filesystem but trying to access files
hangs then you haven't started NFS run "/usr/etc/mknfs -B" to fix.

>[How do I get]
>smit to recognize that I no longer want to nfs mount the remote filesystem?
>Where is it keeping the information on the remote machine?  It's not
>in /etc/fstab, and I grepped through all the rc files I could find with
>no success.
AIX doesn't use /etc/fstab because they are using a stanza based table
in /etc/filesystems.  Try editing that file instead.

I have no idea why your NFS performance is slow.

-- sanders at peyote.cactus.org
First rule of software:  Throw the first one away.
and so on...