NFS woes

Tom G. Kile tgkile at sem.brl.mil
Wed Feb 6 08:43:22 AEST 1991

I have an RS/6000 Model 320 running "Golden" code.  I tried to nfs mount
a filesystem from a Gould/Encore 9000 running UTX/32 2.0 (BSD 4.3 derivative).
The system seemed to mount ok but I was getting error messages on the
console of my 320:  clnttcp_create: not found
                    rpc.statd: cannot talk to statd at remote_host_name
Performance on the 320 was also degraded severely.

I tried to unmount the remote filesystem, but the filesystem was busy
and I couldn't kill the processes using it.  I rebooted the 320 then
tried to "Stop using the mounted file system".  SMIT could not find it.
I also looked in /etc/fstab.  No entries for the remote machine were
there either, but I was still getting the error messages.  I tried
stopping NFS.  This "failed" with "Subsystem inactive... time out;"
although, the messages did stop.  When I restarted the NFS daemons the
messages and slow response returned.

Now with the Gould down, I still get nfs error messages.  How do I get
smit to recognize that I no longer want to nfs mount the remote filesystem?
Where is it keeping the information on the remote machine?  It's not
in /etc/fstab, and I grepped through all the rc files I could find with
no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom Kile