automount

Marc Kwiatkowski {Host Software-AIX} marc at ultra.com
Sat Feb 2 06:11:58 AEST 1991

I fear this question has already been asked, but since I haven't seen
mention of it recently, I'll chance wasting some bandwidth.

I cannot get automount to work at all.  Automounting the trivial case,
described below, results in a mount entry, but the automount mount-point
is still empty.  Reviewing previous postings I see that people have had
complaints about automount but were able to get it running.  Can someone
enlighten me?

I verified I can nfs mount a a local filesystem.  That is, on host "foo",

	$ mount foo:/tmp /mnt

works correctly.

I would expect that an automount using the following auto.master and auto.direct
should also work.  In the case described here, I have disabled all NIS daemons
to insure that there is no interaction with the NIS auto.master or auto.direct.

	$ cat /etc/auto.master

	/-	/etc/auto.direct

	$ cat /etc/auto.direct

	/mnt/tmp	foo:/tmp

	$ /usr/etc/automount

	$ mount
	.
	.
	.
	foo (pidXXXXX)	/-	nfs	January 30,1991	ro

Inspecting /mnt/tmp shows nothing, nor is there any auto-generated
mount-point in /tmp_mnt.