NIS on AIX 3.1 + SunOS 4.03c

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Fri Feb 1 18:53:08 AEST 1991

Sigh...

We've got a YP sun network, and I decided that our RS/6000s should either
shape up or be turned into "one account" machines.

Unfortunately, no amount of coercion via smit seems to get NIS working.

Details:
Sun Side                   IBM side
Sparcs, 4.0.3 server       release 3002, on 320s.

netmask of network: 255.255.240.0 (heard this could be a problem, dunno
if it was rumor or true).

all da sparcs work         none of the nis configed IBMs are able to boot, even

So, we booted from floppy and turned off all of the NIS stuff...

Anybody got any quick clues?  I doubt it's flat-out *broken*, I'm guessing
there's some minor tweak somewhere that's needed.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet at uh.edu - bitnet: jet at UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence