NIS on AIX 3.1 + SunOS 4.03c

john at johnmad.Berkeley.EDU john at johnmad.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Feb 7 18:58:39 AEST 1991

>We've got a YP sun network, and I decided that our RS/6000s should either
>shape up or be turned into "one account" machines.

You don't say what machines are serving NIS or where they are in topological
relation to the Risk/6k machines, but I know of some common problems.
Your netmask might be wrong, but I guess that depends on the way things are
set up there. We use 255.255.255.0 for Ethernet.

Since ypbind broadcasts to find a server, if you have a gateway in between the
client and server, you need to use a ypset to make the client bind to the
server. Put it in /etc/rc.nfs right after the ypbind startup. Use the
address, not the name.

Another deal we have run into is the broadcast masks.
If your server is listening on "all zeros" for broadcast,
rather than on  "all ones" you should change the Risc System/6k
broadcast mask. For example from 192.100.153.255 to 192.100.153.000
This can be done temporarily by using ifconfig or permanently
using smit. See info on broadcast for details.

Good luck
John

Statements made here are my personal views and do not reflect
policy or commitments of IBM Corporation.

John Maddalozzo
IBM Advanced Workstation Division  aesnet:	john at johnmad.austin.ibm.com
11400 Burnet Road, 994/3401	   vnet:	JOHNMAD at AUSVMQ
Austin, TX, 78758-3493		   phone:	+1 [512] 823-4837
		uucp:	cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!johnmad.austin.ibm.com!john