I am missing something important while porting to AIX 3.1?

Marc Andreessen andreess at mrlaxs.mrl.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 6 16:03:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb6.020623.26983 at lavaca.uh.edu> jet at karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
>Several times I've tried to port relatively innocuous (good word, eh?)
>code from the BSD/SunOS world to AIX 3.1 and have had a big AIX-shaped
>boot stomped all over my head.
>
>These are things that should be simple: patch, BSD tar, etc.
>
>[...]  Maybe there's a magic
>program, "bsdtoaix" that modifies generic BSD code so that cc/c89/xlc
>doesn't barf so hard.

Maybe this is self-evident, but you are compiling with -D_BSD and
then linking everything to libbsd.a in the end, aren't you?

I've compiled literally scores of more-or-less standard BSD programs
this way (including patch, etc).  After _BSD is defined, quite often the
only problems remaining are declarations of malloc(), sprintf(),
and the like, which can be safely #ifndef _AIX'd out of the source code.

Also, I avoid xlc and c89 like the Black Plague.  But that's another
story.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory