use of class "-C" argument with lpr on RS/6000

elee4fg at jetson.uh.edu elee4fg at jetson.uh.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:20:18 AEST 1991

In article <6885 at mace.cc.purdue.edu>, abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) writes:

> In article <1991Feb22.153143.19956 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> dedourek at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) writes:
>>We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
>>server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
>>in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
>>than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
>>by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
>>aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
>>to the printer server.
>
> After a lot of investigation and conversation with IBM folks, we concluded
> that the -C support was omitted from the AIX 3.1 line printer code.  There
> is some evidence that the generalized queuing mechanism of AIX, which is
> layered above line printer support, is to blame.
>
> Our reluctant choice to recover -C support has been to abandon the AIX
> printer system and install our own local package.  That's not an attractive
> answer, but if your need to pass printer-specific information matches ours,
> I think it's the only choice right now.  (At least it wasn't too hard to
> port our local line printer system.)
>
> Vic Abell <abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu>
I may have a suggestion that might work.
Since AIX 3.1 support virtual printer , why don't you setup multiple
virtual printer to point to the same printer but using different bin
For example,
   Let's say you have printer 1 attach to print server with dual bins
   You can setup Virtual printer 1 to pinter to printer 1 with bin 1
                 Virtual printer 2 to print to printer 1 with bin 2.
I know thing like this can be done on Novell.  Due to the lack of experience
on AIX, I am not sure whether this may work.
Seng C. Gan
(Star Enterprise)
Tel: ( 713)874-7816 (Work)