use of class "-C" argument with lpr on RS/6000

hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 26 00:49:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb22.153143.19956 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca> dedourek at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (John DeDourek) writes:
>We have a machine (non-aix) machine on campus which serves as a print
>server for the unix machines.  This machine requires certain information
>in the lpr/lpd protocol control file class argument to specify other
>than default fonts, etc.  On most unix machines, this is done
>by specifying the "-C" option to lpr.  I have tried this with
>aix, but the class argument does not appear to have been transmitted
>to the printer server.

At our site we use the -C option on lpr to transmit our print bin
number to the printserver.  With the IBM's this does not work and
the operators must look up the userid and write the bin number on
it.  They haven't yelled at me yet .....  Why does this option work
for our Sun and SGI systems but not for AIX?

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler at galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov
           "There is no room in democracy for intolerant people, Therefore
           they should all be rounded up, taken out back, and shot"