info customization and improvements

david at panews david at panews
Fri Feb 8 11:23:32 AEST 1991

In article <2548 at sapwdf.UUCP> Bill Wohler <wohler at sap-ag.de> writes:
>  is there *any* customization of info available?
You might try:

info.background: color
info.foreground: color

Geometry is not advisable as ALL info windows will pick up the
geometry. All the standard Motif menu bar resources apply as well
but again to ALL info windows.

>        o fix the location of the navigation window.
>        o fix the location of the search window.
These are reasonable requests.

>  is there an index of possible initial articles to display with the
>  -s flag?  what does the -n flag do?
These are documented fairly well (I thought). -s causes a simple search
to be performed on all information data bases on start-up. -n specifies
which of the 4 "primary navigation articles" to load on start-up.

>  is there anyone who reads this list that is an author of info and
>  can implement suggestions and improvements?
Yes.

>  when the search window pops up, the cursor is warped but
>  mostly *misses* the window.  since i have autoraise set, the search
>  window is buried--very annoying.
>
>  i was wondering about a keyboard interface (the x windows
>  interface).  one has limited emacs commands in a reading window
>  (C-v, M-v) but not all (M->).  in addition, the first menu after a
>  query allows you to type the first letter of the choices
>  "Navigation", "Using, Managing and Commands" and so on and then a
>  carriage return will select your choice.  this doesn't exist,
>  unfortunatly, within the navigation window itself.
>
>  an excellent addition would be C-s (to search for a pattern within an
>  article) because it takes a while to bring up the query window,
>  select the compound query,  change the search to the current article
>  and finally make the query.
Good suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

David Berkowitz  uunet!ibmsupt!david  (415) 855-4485 |
                                                     | Take off your shoes.
IBM Personal Systems Programming, Palo Alto          | for industry!
This does not represent an official IBM position.    |